Thursday, July 09, 2009

News round-up: new kit gets a big tick

I made a decision some time ago not to buy Nike due to its suspect record in immoral working practices. It wasn’t an easy decision; back in simpler times I had a pair Nike trainers that saved me from a beating by the local school bully/breakdancer. It’s a brand I have a lot to thank for.

Oxford United, of course, is a brand I can stand by even though it’s done much more damage to me personally than Nike ever did. The fact the two have come together for the new home shirt presents me with a dilemma.

There has been an overhaul of the club’s visual identity in the last six months. No longer are we presented with the amateur visuals of nasty Photoshop composits. Now we’ve got a serif font and conservative colourways. It’s more classic, confident and professional.

Some will mock the club’s attempt to attend to its visual identity in a way the top clubs do (note the ‘we’re ready for business’ team shot). Apparently there was particular derision amongst snooty non-league nerds who want to see ‘real football’ being playing in front of one man and a dog and the players smoking tabs in the bar after the game.

Nike (distributed via JustSport or not) fits with the club’s re-branding. Yes, I know it's just a bog standard Nike team kit with our badge on it. But we’ve got much higher chance of getting some quality output this season if there’s quality input in everything we try to do. If that means sacrificing a couple of Mexican migrants for promotion, then I for one, am right behind it.

No comments: